In this article, we look at how you can request a USAA credit card limit increase, and tell you the average USAA credit card limit and USAA credit card daily spending limit. A higher credit limit on your card not only increases your purchasing power but can also help improve your credit score by increasing your debt-to-limit ratio. One caveat, however, is that doing so can lead to a difficult exam, which can lower your score.
Another advantage of a higher credit limit is that you are less likely to go over the limit and incur additional costs. Whether your card is with USAA, Chase, Capital One, American Express, or Bank of America, with the help of BestCreditCards3, we’ll not only help you apply for a raise, but we’ll warn you if it’s going to be a tough ordeal that can affect your score.
Table of Contents
How credit limit increases work
A credit limit is an amount that you can withdraw from your card. For example, you can get a $500 limit when the card is first opened. Over time, the publisher may allow you USAA credit card limit increases based on several factors.
About the USAA credit card
USAA offers the USAA Military Affiliate Visa Signature to members of the military, whether serving active duty or honorably discharged, and to certain family members. These cards are issued by both Visa and American Express. There are a few different tiers and reward cards offered by USAA.
Who can apply for a higher USAA credit card limit?
Typically, those who just opened a card, have a secured credit card, or have had a line of credit in the past few months are not eligible for credit increases. There are other factors to consider, such as:
- On-time or overdue payments
- Credit history
- Utilization rate
- Hard inquiries
Things to consider before applying for a USAA credit card limit increase
One thing to keep in mind when applying for a credit line increase is that it can result in a difficult investigation that can affect your credit score. If you’re looking to increase your credit score by increasing your limits, you should consider whether the increase is worth it.
What is the Average USAA USAA Credit Card Limit?
The Average USAA credit card limit is $1,000 for secured cards and $3,000 to $5,000 for unsecured cards.
USAA also offers a maximum credit limit of $50,000 on all of its cards.
If you’re not happy with your credit limit or your credit utilization is too high, you can request an increase online for most USAA credit cards (except Classic or Secured).
However, keep in mind that asking for a raise could take a toll on your credit report.
You can avoid that, though, because USAA also automatically increases credit limits every 12 months if you qualify. You have the best chance of an automatic increase if you always pay your balance in full and on time.
What Are The USAA ATM Withdrawal Limits
There are no fees for the first 10 withdrawals per month from non-US ATMs.
The USAA charges $2 per withdrawal because ATMs on the preferred network are considered non-USAA ATMs.
FSB will refund you up to $15 per monthly statement cycle at non-US ATMs.
Discount does not apply to USAA Cashback Rewards verification or the month the account was closed.
When withdrawing money in a currency other than the US dollar abroad, a foreign transaction fee of 1% is charged.
USAA Debit Card Limit
The debit card limits for the USAA Classic Checking account are as follows:
- $600 per day for ATM cash withdrawals
- $1,000 per day for debit card cash advances
- $3,000 per day for signature-based purchases
- $3,000 per day for PIN-based purchases.
How do I find my USAA credit limit?
You can find your credit card limit on your monthly credit card statement, through your online credit card account, or by calling customer service.
How do I know if I’m eligible for a USAA credit card limit increase?
The USAA does not disclose eligibility criteria on its website. However, all credit card providers take the following into account:
- How long you have had your credit card account.
- Pay off your credit card balance on time and in full.
- Active credit card use.
- An increase in your income.
- An increase in your credit rating.
But even if you meet these requirements, an increase in the credit limit is not guaranteed.
Note: You cannot request a credit limit increase for USAA Classic and USAA Secured cards.
How can I increase my USAA credit card limit?
There are four ways you can increase your USAA credit card limit.
- Submit your application online
- Call the bank
- Get an automatic credit limit increase
- Request another card
Before applying for your line of credit, make sure you have all the necessary information such as Your annual income, your employment and occupation, a reason for the request, your monthly credit card spending, and mortgage/rent payments.
1. Submit your application online
It’s easy to apply to USAA for a credit limit increase. Here’s what to do:
- Sign in to your online USAA account.
- Select the card you want.
- Scroll to the Account Services menu and select Change Credit Limit.
- Enter the required information.
- View and send.
2. Call the bank
You can also call USAA Customer Service and request a USAA credit card limit increase. Here’s how:
- Call USAA using the number on the back of your credit card.
- Request an increase in your credit limit.
- Enter the required information.
- When will I receive the credit limit increase?
- Your credit limit should change immediately upon approval.
3. Get an automatic USAA credit card limit increase
Like all credit card issuers, USAA may increase your credit limit without your request. This can happen if you:
- Use your card often. Regular purchases with your card can provide USAA with an incentive to increase your purchasing power.
- Pay your entire balance on time. USAA may find no reason to offer you higher credit if you don’t.
4. Request another card
If you’re having trouble getting a credit limit increase, you can simply request another card. Aside from getting another line of credit, you can get additional benefits like a rewards program, a sign-up bonus, or a 0% introductory APR period.
How is my USAA credit limit determined?
Credit card issuers often use the following criteria to determine your credit limit:
- Annual Income: Higher-income individuals tend to have higher credit limits.
- Employment opportunities: Permanent employment is another factor to consider.
- Creditworthiness: Timely payments and no blemishes on your credit history can help you get a higher line of credit.
- Utilization Rate: Keep your utilization at 30% or below to show you can successfully manage your debt.
- The number of credit card applications: Applying for too many credit cards at once can send your creditors a red flag. Therefore, you can get a lower credit limit than usual.
- Request a high-end card: Cards like Visa Signature or Mastercard World Elite often have high initial credit lines.
How often does USAA increase my credit limit?
The USAA does not specify how long to wait before increasing the credit limit. But to be sure, we recommend waiting at least six months.
If you expect automatic increases, customers have reported getting a line of credit per year.
If you would like to increase your current USAA credit card limit, log into your online account and request an increase. To increase your chances of success, make sure you always pay your balance on time and actively use your credit card.
However, if you can’t get a credit line increase, getting a new credit card can be a solid alternative.
USAA CREDIT CARD LIMIT FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can requesting a credit limit increase affect my credit score?
Yes. USAA debits your balance each time you request a raise. This lowers your credit rating by a few points.
If you’re approved for a line of credit increase, the new line of credit should lower your utilization, which is often taken as a good sign by lenders.
Can I request a specific limit for my card?
When you reduce a credit limit, you can specify the limit you want, up to the minimum amount available for that particular card type, but no less than the current outstanding amount. You cannot request a specific amount for credit limit increases. USAA does not offer credit limit adjustments for classic cards or secured cards.
When should I request a credit limit increase?
The timing often depends on your situation. In general, request a credit limit increase if you:
- Meet the eligibility requirements.
- Have a higher credit rating than when you applied for the card.
- Have a higher income than when you applied for the card.
- Are you planning to close another map and you don’t want your occupancy to increase.
What is a reasonable amount to increase the credit limit?
Generally, an increase of 10% to 25% is considered reasonable. However, this depends largely on your current credit limit. You can easily get an increase of 100% or more if you already have a low credit limit.
When will I find out what my new credit limit is?
In most cases, you will have a decision at the end of the application process. If approved, your new credit limit will appear when you access your credit card statement online or on the USAA mobile app. If you are rejected, you will receive a letter explaining the decision.
When can I adjust my credit limit again?
Qualifying credit cards may be adjusted after the account has been opened for 180 days, subject to approval, or 180 days after the last credit limit adjustment. USAA does not offer credit limit adjustments for classic cards or secured cards.